Project Performance Measurement
For this Short Answer Assessment, you will answer a series of short answer items to demonstrate your understanding of how to assess project performance against agreed-to criteria using qualitative and quantitative methods. This Assessment is based on Part 5 of the St. Dismas Assisted Living Facility Case Study. Read Part 5 of the case study (and review previous parts of the case study as needed), then complete the Assessment.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
To complete this Assessment:
- Download the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist to use as a guide when completing your Assessment. Responses that do not meet the expectations of scholarly writing will be returned without scoring. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided where appropriate.
- Download the PM004 Short Answer Submission Form, which includes the Rubric for this Assessment. Complete the form adhering to the criteria presented in the Rubric. Additionally, your responses should align with the standards of project management in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), 5th Edition.
Short Answer Assessment Submission Form
This Competency includes a Short-Answer Response Assessment. Write your response to each prompt below in the space provided. The Rubric, which will be used by the Competency Assessor to evaluate your responses, is beneath the prompts. Carefully review the Rubric rows associated with each prompt to provide a complete response.
When writing your response, begin typing where it reads “Enter Your Response Here.” Write as much as needed to satisfy the requirements of the prompt (as defined in the Rubric). Be sure to support your responses with connections to professional sources.
Your Assessment responses require references (in APA style) to support your thinking. You will list your references at the end of this template where “References” are noted. If you need additional information regarding how to correctly cite, and/or reference sources, please visit the Walden Writing Center at http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/apa/citations
- Refer to Part 5 of the “St. Dismas Assisted Living Facility Case Study” document.
Kyle Nanno is the construction project manager for the St. Dismas Assisted Living Facility (ALF) project. One of Kyle’s responsibilities is to ensure that the construction of the facility is proceeding as planned—on time and on budget. Each week, Kyle holds a meeting with his project team and key stakeholders to review the progress and performance of the construction project. After each meeting, Kyle e-mails meeting minutes to the project team and executives throughout the organization.
After reading the minutes from a recent meeting, Dr. Fred Splient, President of St. Dismas, called Kyle to express concern about important decisions related to the construction of the facility that had not been made. Kyle reported that security related decisions had not been made because Frank Geagy, Director of Security, had not been attending the weekly meetings. Fred makes it clear that Frank must attend all of the team meetings going forward.
After his conversation with Dr. Splient, Kyle calls Frank Geagy. Kyle relays Dr. Splient’s expectation that Frank attend all Friday project team meetings to review project progress and performance. Frank does not sound happy. Frank tells Kyle, “We have too much real work to do. I can’t attend all these meetings.” After hearing this, it occurs to Kyle that Frank may not be familiar with the project monitoring and controlling process or why it is important.
Respond to the following:
- a) Describe a process for monitoring and controlling a project. (2–3 paragraphs)
- b) Explain why it is important to have a formal monitoring and controlling strategy for the ALF project. (3–4 paragraphs)
- c) What is your assessment of the approach Kyle is taking to monitor and control the ALF project? (2–3 paragraphs)
Enter your response here.